2017 is off to a great start and what better way to kick off the year than to start talking about this year’s delectable food and wine events that are coming up. The 2017 Seattle Wine and Food Experience (SWFE) has grown this year into a 3-day festival, offering a full spectrum of Seattle’s culinary and craft beverage scene. Founded in 2009, SWFE has exploded into a premier event that is not to be missed. Under Seattle magazine’s new ownership, the footprint of the event is growing to reach a wider audience and showcase the city through its incredible food and beverage scene. Each event “experience” is vastly different, so you can attend the one that fits your palate, or make a weekend of it and attend all three.
POP! Bubbles & Seafood
The SWFE extravaganza kicks off from 6-9pm Friday night February 24th at the beautiful McCaw Hall with the 3rd annual POP! Bubbles & Seafood. Presented by Tulalip Resort Casino, this event features:
- 30+ sparkling wines from around the world & reserve red wines
- 20 of Seattle’s best chefs
- Oyster Bars featuring Taylor Shellfish, Hama Hama Oysters and Salted Sea
- Specialty Cocktails & Beer
- Callebaut Belgium Chocolate Lounge
- DJ Dubreezy Tunes
POP! has been an elusive event for me that I have not yet had the privilege of attending for one reason or another, and this year will be much of the same! Since I will be on an airplane flying back to WA while this amazing event is going on, please go and drink extra bubbly for me! Tickets for POP! are $85 and can be purchased here.
SWFE’s newest addition is Comfort, which is being held 5-8pm on Saturday evening February 25th at the Fremont Foundry. Presented by Tulalip Resort Casino, Comfort offers some of Seattle’s best feel-good foods and crafty brews from mac and cheese to fried chicken, beer, cider, hot toddies and more. There will be more than 50 craft beers, ciders, bubbly and more to quench your thirst between tasty bites. This new event features:
- Gastropubs, taverns, burger joints and more
- Beer and Cider from around the Pacific Northwest
- Washington Potato Commission Fry Bar
- Bloody Mary bar featuring Bakon Vodk
- Milk and Cookies Bar
- Hot Toddy Bar sponsored by Perfect Pour Seattle
- DJ Braden Landon
This event definitely caters to a different crowd than POP!, which is why it’s amazing! It’s a great addition to the SWFE line-up and sounds like it will be simply delicious. Tickets for Comfort are $55 and can be found here.
The Seattle Wine and Food Experience Grand Tasting
Last but certainly not least in this delicious weekend is the SWFE Grand Tasting, which returns Sunday February 26th, 2017 to the Seattle Center Exhibition Hall. The Grand Tasting is a deluxe showcase for wine, beverage, food and lifestyle in the Northwest. Wines from the Northwest and beyond are featured along with local and regional beer, cider and spirits. Why should you attend the SWFE Grand Tasting? Here’s just a glimpse:
- More than 500 wines, plus tastes from distilleries, beer and cider
- Fare from 25 local chefs and 25 specialty food makers
- Explore the Celebrity Modern Luxury Lounge for a chance to win a cruise!
- Yakima Valley Craft Food and Beverage Exhibit
- The Savor Experience from San Luis Obispo County
- The Sweet Suite–Indulge to your hearts content
- The “Pearls” of Ste. Michelle Wine Estates with wines from Canon 13, Intrinsic, Mamma Mia and more
- Taste from Nicky Farms exotic meats, Heritage Meats Butchery Block and Sustainable Alaska Seafood
- Like what you’re tasting? You can buy your favorite wine, beer, cider and spirits from the QFC product store benefiting Les Dames d’Escoffier
The drinks and eats are impressive and if you are feeling like the $70 General Admission session from 1pm – 5pm just isn’t enough time for you to try them all, up your tasting game with a VIP ticket! This $90 ticket comes with an extra hour of tasting and a swanky VIP swag bag. That extra hour from 12-1pm when the crowds are thinner has always been my favorite time at the event. You get more one on one with the wineries to learn a bit more about the wine and the most popular food items don’t get have lines! VIP is definitely worth the cost! Find your ticket options here.
If you’re feeling adventurous, the Seattle Wine and Food Experience is offering a Weekend Pass package for $220, which includes tickets to POP!, Comfort, and a VIP pass to the Grand Tasting (a $10 savings if you do all three events!).
But wait, there’s more! Because this event is just so wonderful and I don’t want you to miss out on it, Sips & the City is giving away a pair of tickets to this year’s Seattle Wine and Food Experience Grand Tasting! To enter, post a comment below with what you are most excited about at this year’s SWFE. Is it the food? The wine? The spirits? Just let me know what it is and you’re entered, it’s as easy as that! Winner will be drawn at random from all entries received this Friday January 13th (who says it’s an unlucky day?). Please make sure to leave your email address (you don’t have to post it publicly) so I can contact you if you win. Good luck and happy tasting! See you at the 2017 Seattle Wine and Food Experience!